skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:


Rubbish & Recycling


Alcohol LicencesRaihana hoki waipiro

The sale and supply of alcohol to the public requires a licence under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. All alcohol licences are issued by the District Licensing Committee of Hastings District Council.

Licence requirements and the criteria the Committee considers when making decisions on them are set out in the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 and Regulations.

There are four types of licences (click the links for more information and access to the on-line application forms):

A licence is issued to a named person, company or legal entity, linked to a premises or conveyance. Conveyances are vehicles such as aircraft, vessels, trains etc.

A licence cannot be transferred from one person to another, or from one premises or conveyance to another, however a temporary authority can be issued while a new licence application is being processed (see below).

Contact us if you plan on selling or supplying alcohol to the public as you will need to consider planning and building issues and any other rules specific to the suburb in which you plan to operate. You will also need to talk to us about requirements for food business registration, and kitchen and toilet facilities.

All applications are now lodged online. If you have technical difficulties please contact Council; phone 871 5000.

Temporary authorities

A temporary authority allows a new owner to trade for a limited time on an existing on-licence or 0ff-licence while an application for a new licence is in progress.

The Temporary Authority is issued for three months and can only be granted where the existing licence is still current (has not expired or been surrendered).




Licence Fees - Environmental Health

Licence Fees - Environmental Health Fees and Charges approved for 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019.

All fees and charges are inclusive of GST (except as noted *).

Alcohol Application Fees Fee (incl GST)
Note: Fees are set by regulation under Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. Please discuss the applicable fees for On, Off and Club Licences with the Alcohol Licensing Officer.
Special Licence Applications
Note: Large Event - 400 people
Note: Medium Event - between 100-400 people
Note: Small Event - under 100 people
1 to 2 small size events$63.25 
3 to 12 small, 1 to 3 medium size events$207.00 
All other special licenses / large events$575.00 
Other Applications
Managers Certificate Applications$316.25 
Temporary Authority$296.70 


Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2019 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /