Food, health and alcohol licensing

Hastings District Council is the licensing authority for liquor sales, commercial hygiene and various other controlled activities. For information about decisions relating to the sale and supply of alcohol in the Hastings District see Hastings District Licensing Committee Decisions


Fundraising & Community Events

Sausage sizzles, and selling food like jams and cakes, are popular ways to raise money for good causes. Find out about the regulations you need to comply with if you're making and selling food for fundraising, want to sell food at occasional events like markets and fairs, or are serving food as part of a club or society.


A manager with a current Manager's Certificate must be on duty at all times on the premises while liquor is being sold and consumed. The manager's name must be clearly visible inside the premises.

The certificate expires after one year, and can then be renewed for a further three years.


The Food Act 2014

The Food Act 2014 came into force on 1 March 2016.  The Act applies to all new food businesses.


New food safety measures

The Act brings in the following new food safety measures:

1.         Food Control Plans

A food control plan sets out the steps a business making or selling higher-risk foods needs to take to make safe food.  It is used to identify food safety risks, and to show how they're being managed.